Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Texturing started

After a rather brutal week of baking normals and AO maps I finally have something to show for it. Learning how to properly bake (render) a normal map inside of xNormal is an endeavor in and of itself. I had to do a LOT of reading and watching of videos. I must have spent over 20 hours on just baking my maps for this thing. But now that I've gone through that I now have SO much more knowledge. I made sure to fully understand all the settings and comprehend the logistics of what's actually happening behind the scenes. For those readers out there that are curious what I'm talking when I say normal map here is a quick video that explains it pretty well in 2 minutes.



Today I finally was able to start texturing. Once I got going I couldn't actually stop. It's a strange feeling sitting down at the computer when the sun is coming up and the next thing you know it's dark out. I made a lot of progress though. I used an awesome new program called Substance Painter. It's a 3D painting program similar to Photoshop but is made specifically for texturing game assets. I have really only scratched the surface of it's capabilities yet but I feel like I've done a pretty good job for only working with it for one day. It feels great to see some progress after a week's worth of headaches....

Anyway here are a few screen grabs inside of the program:



I'm not done with it yet. I got most of the colors in there but I want to spend another couple of days working on some of the finer details adding scratches, dirt, grime, etc. I see some errors I made already but nothing a few short brush strokes won't fix! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment