Monday, October 13, 2014

6th Week for Conch building

Below this is a few screen grabs of the progress I've made over the last couple weeks. Once again I've fallen short of my goal to get the whole thing completed by now. I am kind of close but it seems the more I learn the more I realize how much more work needs to get done to make it look nice. As of this moment I am not happy with this piece. Looking at the sculpture I made after the first two weeks I was so proud and pleased with the modeling to begin with which kind of fueled me through the boring parts. But now that my texturing is mostly done I'm rather let down.

That being said I do recognize the progress I've made in the last six weeks (the 5th week was kind of a wash with a family trip and busy schoolwork) and it is significant. I must say that I've learned more from this project that I have from anything I've made thus far. And to that extent I would call this a success. What I am actually saying is that I'm done with it, not for forever but for now I need to move on. I feel like my weakest link is my texturing and lighting. I need to get back to fundamentals and take some time to learn.

For this reason I have decided to start a new project in the hopes that I will learn some more about this subject (texturing/lighting) and maybe create something portfolio worthy in the process. I have a few ideas but I will wait for tomorrow to make a decision. I do know that it will be something somewhat small and I will be using a PBR texturing workflow.

I will make a new post about this tomorrow along with a kind-of post-mortem on this project. I will breakdown each week into what I did well and what I failed at. At any rate here are the screenshots I took. Note that the green blobs on the shell roof is a moss texture I added in today but never got the alpha working in UE4 (still have some more learning in that program too) I did make some mossy vines to hang from the roof as well; you can see one of them but I never got a chance to place the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment