Saturday, April 4, 2015

New finished environments (sort of)

I've been working hard on two separate environments last month as I've stated previously in the Cambodian Temple and Sci Fi hallway. Here are the most up to date renders inside of UE4 for both levels. Neither of them are completely finished but they are as far as I could take them in the time allotted.


This is the Cambodian Temple level for ACG class. The goal was just to learn the basics of the Ureal Engine and how an environment artist would use it. I had some knowledge of the program already but actually using it for a class really made me dig into it. There are some things I like about it but a lot that I didn't. For one the foliage looks terrible. I'm not really a fan how my grass and leaf textures turned out. I'll have to practice some more on making alpha grass cards at some point. I was pretty proud of the water shader that I created. Or at least I would be if my floor wasn't so low poly. The floor tiles being so angled kind of makes the water falloff so sharp that it looks fake.



This Sci Fi Hallway turned pretty good in my opinion. I had to learn a lot about lighting with just emissives (glowy lights) and how that affects the whole environment. You can't see it in these images but I actually have some animated materials in there. A closeup of the console would showoff a hologram of the door that floats (and even spins!) The monitor even has scrolling text. And the green tubes have a flowing liquid inside. I probably learned more from this environment because there wasn't any guidance at all. I had to really do research on how to set everything up.

I'm still working on a student project this month with the robot I posted a while back. Right now I'm texturing it and will soon have it finished (more or less). Once I do complete my part of it I will be free to start working on some more personal projects again. I can't wait to get started. I have plenty of ideas that I want to implement. I could go back and finish the Obsidian Throne I was working on but I feel like I've learned so much since then that I want to implement some of my new found skills on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment